New AP Human Geography Option available for incoming 9th grade WHS Pre-IB students!
We are excited to announce a new opportunity for students wishing to participate in the Walnut High School pre-IB program! Incoming 9th grade students may now apply for a new WHS pre-IB pathway allowing them to take Advanced Placement (AP) Human Geography as an incoming freshman. This program provides students with important advantages including the opportunity to take an Advanced Placement (AP) course as a freshman. In addition, students taking AP Human Geography will not have to take World History Honors as AP Human Geography meets this high school graduation requirement. This is a great opportunity for students to replace a high school course required for graduation with an Advanced Placement course on their high school transcripts!
Incoming 9th graders wishing to take advantage of this exciting new WHS pre-IB opportunity must meet the following requirements:
- Students must meet the criteria to participate in the WHS pre-IB program:
- Minimum 3.0 GPA in the core academic classes (English, math, science and social studies) in the 8th grade year
- Students must have coomplete Algebra I or Geometry before the start of the 9th grade year
- Students must make a commitment to participate in the WHS pre-IB program for the freshman and sophomore year continuing on to the full IB Diploma program for the junior and senior year.
- 2020 Application Deadline: TBA
- Please submit application directly to the front office at Walnut High School with a copy of the student's FIRST SEMESTER report card for the 8th grade.
- Only 38 spaces are available for this program and qualifying students will be selected by lottery and notifed by mail within two weeks of the application deadline.
- Students selected to participate must commit to continuing on to the full IB Diploma program in the junior and senior year. A $200 deposit for the IB registration is due at the freshman summer registration appointment with the GLC upon acceptance.
Applications will be available in February.