Walnut High School

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
Facebook Twitter Instagram
College & Career Center » Work Permit

Work Permit

Many students enter the world of work as minors (under 18 years of age). Students work for a wide variety of reasons—to earn income, gain on-the-job experience, or connect what they are learning in the classroom to the real world.

Minors employed in the state of California must have a Permit to Employ and Work (commonly referred to as a “work permit”). Work permits are typically issued by the school where the student is enrolled. Work permits indicate the location of the employer as well as the number of hours a minor may work.

Work Permits are issued by the College & Career Pathway Advisor. 
(909) 594-1333, EXT. 34296 or [email protected]
Download and print the Work Permit Application.
Once the work permit application is completed by student, parent, and employer,  please EMAIL or RETURN the form to the College and Career Pathway Advisor.  Work permits are processed the day they are submitted and should be received within 24 hours.  You can request to pick up your official work permit or have it emailed back to you.  If you have any questions, please stop by the College & Career Center.  
* You no longer need a work permit once you graduate from high school.
The work permit is for your protection and safety. It ensures that employers carry worker compensation insurance. It reminds employers that a student's first job is school and a paid job is secondary. Also, that students are not allowed to work late hours on a school night.
You may also refer to the link below for additional questions regarding the work permit regulations.